UNC baseball opens season with 3-1 win over Kentucky

The No. 12 North Carolina baseball team defeated Kentucky, 3-1, in its season opener at Boshamer Stadium on Friday.

Junior pitcher and preseason All-American J.B. Bukauskas started on the bump for the Tar Heels (1-0), but he didn't look like his old self early on. 

His first pitch of the day was slapped back up the middle by Kentucky's Zach Reks. He gave up another hit two batters later, but was able to work out of trouble to escape the inning unscathed. 

Bukauskas didn't run into much trouble over the next three innings, but his pitch count continued to rise as he battled Wildcat (0-1) hitters in long counts most of the day.

The North Carolina offense did its part to take some of the pressure of Bukauskas early on. After Brian Miller and Michael Busch reached on singles in the top of the first, junior infielder Zack Gahagan hit a single the other way to plate a run. 

Two innings later, Gahagan delivered again, singling to right and scoring Logan Warmoth to give UNC a 2-0 lead. Warmoth joined in in the next frame, singling to left and scoring Roberts from second to move the lead to 3-0.

From there, Bukauskas settled in and there was little the Wildcats could do to climb back in the game. The junior didn't give up another hit after allowing a single in the second inning. He exited after six innings and gave the UNC bullpen plenty of room for error.

After the shaky start, Bukauskas was able to settle into a rhythm and never look back. The junior, who ranked third in the nation in strikeouts per nine innings in 2016, fanned 10 wildcats over six innings of work. 

This is a good sign for North Carolina, who lost its Friday starter from last season to the MLB Draft. Bukauskas showed he was able to continue the success he had last season and can do so as the team's ace.

At the plate, both Warmoth and Gahagan showed why they'll be crucial to the success of the Diamond Heels' offense in 2017. 

The pair ranked second and fourth, respectively, on the team in batting average a season ago, and combined to push across UNC's only three runs of the day.

Kentucky threatened to hop back in the game in the top of the ninth inning, scoring a run and putting runners on the corners with two outs. 

But redshirt first-year pitcher Josh Hiatt was able to calm his nerves and deliver, striking out the final Kentucky batter of the night and closing the game for UNC.

With the win, North Carolina moves to 18-1 in season openers under head coach Mike Fox. Starting off the season with a win is probably exactly what the Tar Heels were looking for after the way last season ended

That said, beginning the season on the right foot doesn't exactly guarantee success. The 2016 Tar Heels proved that after starting last season 18-2 before going 16-19 in the final 35 games and missing the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels play Game 2 of their series against Kentucky tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium.

@jbo_vernon