Valentine's Day adoption special encourages puppy love

Allison and her daughter Carmen meet their new cat Cosmo for the first time.

Orange County Animal Services is currently running its annual Valentine’s Day adoption special for the entire month of February. 

Dogs and cats have reduced adoption prices at $60 and $50, respectively. The special is one of many that the shelter runs, said Robert Marotto, director of Orange County Animal Services. 

“Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity for people to consider adding someone to their life,” Marotto said. 

Other specials the shelter runs throughout the year include National Adopt-a-Cat month in June, National Adopt-a-Dog month in October, Clear the Shelters in August, an open house event in June, and Home for the Holidays in November and December.  

Last year the shelter participated in Clear the Shelters, which is a part of a nationwide initiative with the Humane Society of the United States to get pets into homes by waving all adoption fees. Seventy dogs and cats were adopted in one day. 

Andi Morgan, assistant director of Orange County Animal Services, said there is a stigma that making animals low-cost is a disservice to the animals. Morgan said the shelter has done extensive research and it’s been found that lower priced fees can actually be more successful for adoptions. 

“Money is not a measure of the value that people assign to animals — the idea that only people who can afford to pay for a certain amount to adopt animals is passing,” Marotto said.

Marotto said there is some research that says animals that were adopted for free have a more enduring relationship with people than animals that are adopted with normal fees. 

Building that enduring relationship is one of the missions of Orange County Animal Services. 

Morgan has been assistant director since 2007 and Marotto has been director since Orange County Animal Services was established by the county in 2005. Before then, the animal shelter was run by a nonprofit that started back in 1978. 

“I love animals and people, and we have an opportunity here to bring them together and watch the bond grow and help that succeed,” Morgan said. “I think the companionship between animals and people is really an important one in our community and in other communities really.”

The shelter is run mainly through various volunteer groups and year-round volunteers. Sarah Fallin, the animal services program coordinator, runs the volunteer program for Orange County Animal Services. 

Fallin said the organization had 377 volunteers in their database in 2016, and these volunteers collectively completed almost 15,000 logged hours for the year. People begin as basic volunteers and then move up to become advanced and mentor volunteers. 

Fallin began working for Orange County Animal Services in 2004, and she has a dog that she adopted from the Orange County shelter. 

“Give shelters a chance because these are pets that have had homes before and they make great pets and they’re very appreciative of being adopted again,” Fallin said. “They’re just happy to have another family.” 

Tatjana Vohwinkel, a mentor volunteer for Orange County Animal Services, has volunteered for five years. She said she encourages volunteering because it’s saving the lives of many cats and dogs that deserve homes. 

Vohwinkel currently owns two kittens — Stanley and Thomas — that she adopted from the Orange County shelter. 

“The best part about adopting is you feel like rescuing them and saving a life, so I always advocate people adopting over buying,” Vohwinkel said.

@gregoryhall_