Water shortage: what to know if you are on campus

UNC students Dean Tran and Harvey Liu walk back to campus holding bags of Powerade after not finding water on Franklin Street. 

UPDATE (8:16 p.m. Saturday): The continued closure of campus means all Carolina Dining Services locations will remain closed except for Rams Head Dining Hall, Rams Head Market and Starbucks. Rams Head Dining hall will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

UPDATE (6:44 p.m. Friday): All dining halls will be closed tomorrow except for Rams Head Dining Hall, which will only be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

UPDATE (5:00 p.m. Friday): Rams Head Dining Hall has been reopened for dinner until 8 p.m. according to a tweet from Carolina Dining Services. 

UNC's campus officially closed at 1 p.m., but thousands of students are still in on-campus residence halls without water. We're compiling useful information here as we find it. 

Dorm bathrooms

According to an email sent out to Carmichael residents, port-a-lets are being ordered so students do not have to use the dorm bathrooms. Students are advised to use the bathrooms as little as possible. 

"Please ensure that you are using as little water as possible, up to and including flushing as little as possible in your restrooms and avoiding showering," the email said.

Water

According to a tweet from UNC Housing, water bottles are being delivered to Rams Head Dining Hall. No one is supposed to drink water from taps on campus until further notice.

Dining halls

Lenoir Dining Hall is closed for the rest of the day, but according to the dining hall website, it will be open for brunch tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Rams Head Dining Hall was supposed to stay open until 5 p.m. today, but CDS announced its closing in a tweet around 3:45. Rams is expected to reopen at 9 a.m. tomorrow, and Rams Market is currently open until 9 p.m. The market will reopen at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Students are encouraged to be cautious when cooking in dorm kitchens because the sprinkler system may be low on water. 

"The water level is so low there are concerns that sprinklers may not function as well as normal, so any fire at this time is especially dangerous," the Carmichael email said.

Health services

Campus Health will be open for acute care services only until 5 p.m. They will reopen at 8 a.m. tomorrow, but only for acute care. UNC Hospitals is operating normally.

Sports

All UNC home sporting events have been moved, postponed or canceled.

The men's basketball game against Notre Dame, initially scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday in the Smith Center, has been postponed to 1 p.m. Sunday at the Greensboro Coliseum. The men's and women's lacrosse teams moved their Saturday season openers to Cardinal Gibbons High School in Raleigh, and the wrestling team moved its match against Virginia to Northwood High School in Pittsboro. The gymnastics team canceled its Friday meet.