We asked UNC students why it's so great to be a Tar Heel fan

It's that time of year again. College basketball is on the minds of many students at the University of North Carolina. Following UNC's decisive win over Virginia on Saturday night, the Tar Heels find themselves sitting at first place in the ACC with the distinct opportunity to control their own destiny for a conference title, as well as a higher seed in the upcoming NCAA tournament. With college sports being a huge part of this campus's pop culture, staff writer Keaton Eberly asked UNC students: why is it so great to be a Tar Heel fan?

Branch Robinson

Sophomore undecided major

“The love for sports around here is mutual between everyone, even people that didn’t grow up playing sports really love the sports, so it is a huge community you can be a part of. Also, we are really good at sports, as opposed to my high school who lost at everything, and also having someone to cheer for that will actually win in pretty much everything. This is good because you can go to a basketball game, football game and tennis match, and we’re going to win more times than we lose, and I think that’s great. It is something that I’m not used to.”

Daniella Cupello 

Junior communication studies major

“I like being a Tar Heel fan because of the tradition that it brings and just the history of all the great players we have seen in the past, and just the expectations of great players in the future and present.”

Graysie Carreiro 

Sophomore business and Japanese major

“Well, honestly, besides winning, Tar Heel blue looks good on everyone, so it is a good color to wear.”

Tyler Ventura 

Sophomore peace, war, and defense major

“Because once I graduate I can continue watching UNC sports for the rest of my life, because we have competitive sports programs and they will be televised.”

swerve@dailytarheel.com