What’s the weirdest way you’ve taken food out of the dining hall?

A variety of ways you can take food out from the dining halls.

We all have that one friend who rolls pizza like sushi so that it fits into a coffee cup and manages to cram five plates of French fries into one to-go cup to take out of Lenoir. We respect and admire them and their ingenuity. 

We asked students: What is the most creative way you take food out of the dining hall? 

Brian Yang (left)

First-year biomedical engineering major

“I had a friend who got an omelet and got one of those coffee cups and stuffed the omelets inside of that, and just casually walked out.”

Gavin Felan

First-year environmental science major

“So sometimes whenever I’m on the way out of Rams (Dining Hall), I’ll grab two oranges and put them in my coat pockets, and then on the way back to Craige I will juggle them.”

Alex Bejarano

First-year, undecided

“I once took out an entire to-go container full of exclusively grapes … and I filled half a ziplock bag. Like a large one.”

Meredith Borton

Sophomore psychology and linguistics double major

“I’ve, um, I’ve just stuffed food in my book bag. I like chocolate chip bread — we live in Granville, they have chocolate chip bread — and I take literally like eight slices when I leave.”

Lauren Wilkinson 

Sophomore media and journalism major

“I’ve actually seen my friends like, put salad in cups. Go figure. It’s kind of weird. And they just walk it out of there. It’s easier to carry. I don’t know, it’s a lot easier to eat.”

“Dressing and all?”

“Yes, everything. And meat sometimes, it’s really disgusting, kind of, but it works I guess, I don't know. It’s like a salad smoothie!”

Tom Wilder

Senior art history major

“Yeah, I mean, the to-go coffee cups are the perfect size to stack up cookies.”

Allie Omens

First-year public policy major

“My friend took like, 10 cookies and like every dessert they had out that day, even the one in the little cup.”

Michelle Zitney

First-year, undecided

“My friend — it was like the first week of college, and we were leaving the dining hall and I wanted a banana and he just stuck bananas in all of his pockets — like front and back and then in his little front pocket and carried two in his hands.”

Omar Haddad 

Senior management and society major

“I had a big container, like a big, big pouring container, and I filled it with cereal. It was like, a jug where you mix drinks in, it was pretty big. I had cereal for a week.”

Lily Schwartz

Sophomore public policy and geology double major

“Me and a friend grabbed like 16 oranges or something for an intramural soccer game team snack. But that was just kind of in a bag.”

Gabrielle Johnson (left) 

Sophomore global studies major

“Yeah, I’ve seen somebody personally bring in like a book bag and it had nothing else in it — it was just empty, and they just filled it with desserts. And then they would take it, they would like — there was like a group of them, there was like five of them — and so they would switch, they would take turns carrying the book bag going to and from the desserts thing. It was crazy.”

Tahj Warren

Sophomore global studies major

“I mean, I think I personally one day forgot to take out a fork so I've not only stolen food, but I guess silverware as well. I used to fill up my water bottle with sodas while I was up there. Definitely the to-go cups are very useful for putting in desserts and stuff, so that’s also been a thing.”

swerve@dailytarheel.com