Still in the race: Elizabeth Adkins campaign receives one point after complaint

Elizabeth Adkins is a junior political science and journalism major and is running to be Student Body President.

The Adkins for Student Body President campaign was awarded one point by the UNC Board of Elections for a false start violation. 

Elizabeth Adkins has not been disqualified, but the max campaign budget has been reduced by 5 percent. 

Junior Ian Muriuki filed a complaint against Adkins on Feb. 26. The complaint included one count of financial problems, four false start violations, six technology violations and one location violation. 

After a hearing on Friday, the Adkins campaign was found guilty of a false start charge because a member of her campaign shared a Facebook post during the campaign freeze. The campaign pleaded guilty to this charge and were awarded one point by the BOE.

"The court also agreed that due its minimal nature, a Facebook post sharing a video unrelated to the campaign, the harm was minimal and warranted points as such," the decision said.

For each point awarded, the maximum budget of $150 decreases by five percent.

The BOE said there was not enough evidence to find Adkins guilty of any other charge.

"In regards to all remaining charges, the court agreed that the plaintiff did not meet the burden of proof (clear and convincing), which is required to find and render a verdict of guilt," the decision said.