Q&A with 8 a.m. Luke Maye video-tweeter Jack Sewell

North Carolina forward Luke Maye (32) pulls up for the game winning shot against Kentucky in Memphis on Sunday.

First-year Jack Sewell got a glimpse at fame when he tweeted a video of Luke Maye getting a standing ovation in BUSI 101 Monday morning. Since then, Sewell has been approached by sites such as Sports Illustrated asking to use the video. 

Staff writer Krupa Kaneria talked with Sewell about how it’s affected his Twitter presence.

Daily Tar Heel: So what happened in your BUSI 101 class?

Jack Sewell: Usually, class starts about five or 10 minutes after 8 because it’s really, really early. I got in there around 8 o’clock, so right on time. Right as I sit down, Luke Maye comes in and everyone starts standing up — big standing ovation. Professor C.J. Skender says “Everyone, get up.” It was a pretty cool moment.

DTH: What compelled you to take the video?

JS: I tweeted the video, but the video is actually not mine. It is Griffin Groh’s. I originally had a post before just saying “The life of Luke Maye: 7 p.m.: hits game-winning shot against Kentucky to send UNC to Final Four. 8 a.m. next day: BUSI 101 class standing O,” and just a picture of the two situations. Then, someone from a local news station asked me if I had a video. I needed a video, so I asked my friend Griffin if he had one, and he did. He doesn’t have a Twitter, so I would have @‘ed him in the tweet, but I didn’t. I just put it out there, and it got really big out of nowhere.

DTH: Did you expect the video to be so popular?

JS: Honestly, I didn’t. I didn’t realize how big the tweet would get. I had no idea.

DTH: How do you feel about the video being so popular?

JS: I don’t know — it’s kind of crazy. I just wasn’t expecting it. I don’t really know how to feel about it yet. It’s a big surprise.

DTH: Have you gotten any new Twitter followers after you posted the video?

JS: I gained about 250 followers, which is pretty cool. I have my DMs open because a lot of the news stations wanted to contact me and ask if they could use the clip. A lot of random people were like, “Hey, this is awesome.”

DTH: Did you know Luke Maye was in your BUSI 101 class before Monday?

JS: I knew he was in our class — he comes to class every day. He came last Monday morning. I’m surprised he comes to all of the class because of all of the traveling that he does with the team. He comes to all of the classes and sits in the front row and takes notes the entire time. He really sets the precedent for what a student should be like in class.

DTH: What was Skender’s reaction?

JS: On Friday, C.J. got a gas receipt for his car and the total was $32, and that’s Luke Maye’s number. So, (on Monday) he asked Luke if he could sign that. We had the standing O, and he got that signed, and then we started class just like normal.

swerve@dailytarheel.com