SAMple Gallery displays Nasty Women Art Exhibit

The opening of the "Nasty Woman" art exhibit took place Friday on the second floor of the Hanes Art Center.

The movement started in New York City, and SAMple Gallery wanted to bring it to Chapel Hill and the surrounding areas.

Co-president of SAMple Gallery and senior studio art major Linnea Lieth said the SAMple gallery is joining a larger movement.

“So it’s actually part of an organized art show that started in New York City right after the inauguration, so its part of a larger trend,” Lieth said. “There’ve actually been Nasty Women shows like across the world at this point, mostly they’re in America.”

She said the goal of Nasty Women is to bring women together and allow them to express themselves through art.

“We thought it would be a really cool thing to do here, just to sort of bring together a lot of women artists and women, you know, creatives, even outside of the art department. So it’s just sort of like a statement of solidarity between women and supporter of women,” Lieth said.

Lieth said the exhibit is different because of the mediums of art that it brings together.

“So we have a lot of paintings, but we also have like prints and we also have drawings,” she said. “We also have photographs and even the pictures in the corner; she’s actually a makeup artist and those aren’t often included in art shows so that was kind of the point of this as well.”

Co-president and senior studio art major Daphne Rodgers said she found out about the Nasty Women exhibit in Durham and wants other areas around Chapel Hill to have exhibits similar to this.

“I think looking at this art is important because as like an individual you only have your own perspective and your own way of thinking, and I think looking at the art of other people opens up new ways of understanding the world in a broader perspective,” Rodgers said.

As well as being an organizer, Rodgers exhibited her own art at the exhibit.

“I use a really intuitive process, taking in energy from my environment and translating it into form,” she said. “This painting I did at the beginning of the semester, kind of thinking about the future and like what the political environment is like, how it relates to me.”

Public relations chairperson and senior art history and psychology major Dana Rodriguez said if people don’t make it to the event in person, pictures of the artwork will be on their website.

“Our goal for the SAMple Gallery is to provide space for emerging artists or other members of the community to be able to share their artwork and create a discussion about any topics that come to mind,” Rodriguez said.

The Nasty Women Exhibit will be open on Mondays through March from 6-9 p.m. in room 224 of Hanes Art Center and other pre-arranged times.