UNC baseball breezes past Miami with 7-2 win in series opener

The No. 10 North Carolina baseball team breezed past Miami, 7-2, on Friday at Boshamer Stadium. The Tar Heels (17-5, 5-2 ACC) had 10 hits and shut out the Hurricanes (10-12, 3-4 ACC) through seven innings.

Brian Miller started off the bottom of the first inning with a single to right field.

The junior center fielder later reached home off an RBI. First-year designated hitter Ashton McGee also scored in the first after Miami pitcher Jesse Lepore walked two consecutive batters, which loaded the bases then allowed McGee to score.

Three more Tar Heels scored in the next two innings, and the rout was officially on.

J.B. Bukauskas, UNC’s junior righty and top prospect, went nine up nine down through three innings with five strikeouts. He allowed his first hit in the top of the fourth, but maintained a shutout through the seven innings he pitched.

The Hurricanes brought in a new pitcher, Ryan Guerra, in the bottom of the fourth. He slowed the scoring but still was credited with an earned run.

UNC used four more pitchers in the eighth and ninth innings to close out the game.

Bukauskas improved to 4-0 this season on the season. His final stat line was nine strikeouts and three hits on 107 total pitches.

Senior shortstop Logan Warmoth reached base for the 37th consecutive game, and six different Tar Heels had hits. North Carolina struggled to cash in on all those hits, however. It left 14 runners on base in its win.

North Carolina led 3-0 entering the bottom of the third inning — a lead, but not a completely safe one.

Sophomore right fielder Brandon Riley changed that. He singled to right field and advanced all the way to third off a fielding error in a chaotic sequence. Gahagan scored off Riley’s hit, too.

Two at-bats later, Riley was tapping home plate with his foot. UNC’s lead was now 5-0, and the game was over from there.

They Tar Heels bounced back from a 4-2 loss against Georgia Tech last Saturday to beat the Yellow Jackets on Sunday. After taking down East Carolina on Wednesday, Friday's win was the team's third in a row.

In a conference with five nationally ranked teams, every win matters.

UNC will continue its three-game home series against Miami tomorrow at 4 p.m.

@chapelfowler