UNC softball extends win streak with 4-0 win over East Carolina

The North Carolina softball team (12-4) kept rolling Wednesday evening, beating East Carolina (8-7), 4-0. The win is UNC’s seventh in a row and 12th in its last 13 games.

The Tar Heels struck quickly when Berlynne Delamora — the game’s third batter  to left field, scoring Taylor Wike from first. Delamora came around two batters later thanks to Katie Bailiff’s single and UNC led 2-0 early.

North Carolina starting pitcher Brittany Pickett pitched a clean first inning, but ran into trouble in the second as the Pirates loaded the bases with none out. Thanks to a base-running error by the Pirates, Pickett managed to work out of the jam unscathed and preserve the Tar Heel lead.

The Tar Heels added a run in the third thanks to a Kendra Lynch sacrifice fly, and another in the fifth from Bailiff’s second RBI single of the day, extending UNC’s lead to four runs.

After a perfect third inning, Pickett allowed base runners in each of the next three innings, but managed to hold the ECU scoreless each time. The Pirates finished the game batting 1-for-14 with runners on base.

In the seventh, fellow first-year Hannah Nommensen replaced Pickett and finished off a Tar Heel victory with a perfect final inning.

Pickett was steady in the circle, pitching six scoreless innings while allowing just five hits and a walk. She also struck out four Pirates in the win, improving her record to a perfect 5-0 on the season.

At the plate, Katie Bailiff stayed hot, going 3-for-4 and driving in two runs in the process. Wike, who went 1-for-3 with a walk, scored twice — including an important insurance run in the third inning thanks to her stolen base and advancements on a groundout and fly-out in succession.

After blowing a four-run lead in Friday night’s win over Towson and coming back from a six-run deficit against Miami of Ohio, no lead seems safe when UNC plays.

Despite their history, the Tar Heels finally appeared to be in the clear when Pickett worked out of her final jam — with a runner on second and no outs in the sixth — without a blemish. Nommensen closed the door in the seventh and UNC’s win streak stayed intact.

The win came in the Tar Heels’ first true road game and gave a young team some much-needed experience with conference play approaching.

Pickett’s impressive performance also should offer some relief to head coach Donna Papa with regards to UNC’s pitching depth. Last season, Papa leaned heavily on Kendra Lynch, but if Pickett can offer a serviceable option, allowing Lynch to be fresher when she does pitch, and give Papa a second option for future series and possibly the ACC and NCAA tournaments down the road.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels return home to Chapel Hill on Friday to open conference play against No. 21 Pittsburgh for a weekend series. First pitch at Anderson Stadium is at 6 p.m.