UNC women's tennis extends ACC win streak with sweep of Virginia Tech

The No. 4 North Carolina women's tennis team returned home after a three-week road trip on Friday, defeating Virginia Tech, 7-0 at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

UNC had a quick start in doubles. Senior Hayley Carter and Sophomore Jessie Aney, the No. 1 doubles team in the country, won 6-3, while sophomore Chloe Ouellet-Pizer and redshirt senior Rachael James-Baker won 6-2.

The singles matches took longer than expected. The Tar Heels were down early and quickly had to recover. Carter finished first (6-1, 6-3) while first-year Makenna Jones finished second 6-2, 6-1. The Tar Heels won all six singles matches, continuing their ACC winning streak.

First-year Alexa Graham fought back from an early first-set deficit to force a tie-breaker, which she eventually won. Although she grew frustrated with herself, sometimes yelling, she didn’t give up. Graham didn't allow her opponent to win a game in the second set, securing the Tar Heel sweep.

Ouellet-Pizer and Graham both wrapped up the UNC win. Ouellet-Pizer was the third singles match to finish, pushing the Tar Heels to a 4-0 lead and clinching the match. But Graham’s emotion showed why the team has put together a 34-match ACC regular season winning streak.

After three weeks on the road, the Tar Heels were excited to play at home, making the victory that much sweeter.

Where do they play next?

UNC will host Virginia on Sunday at 1 p.m.

@mwc13_3