Weekly walkup: Brian Miller discusses this season's song choice

Center fielder Brian Miller (5) hits the ball in the game on Sunday afternoon against Radford.

The song

Miller has a unique style with his pop song. But on Sundays, he reps his religion.

“My original is ‘Your Love’ by The Outfield, and then every Sunday, I wanted a song called ‘Washed by the Water,’ by NEEDTOBREATHE,” he said.

“It’s a Christian song, what I believe, so I just like having that on a Sunday.”

The process

Experience is key. Miller’s knowledge from past walk-ups guided him to this year’s blue-ribbon tunes.

“My freshman year, I did ‘Uptown Funk’ but that was when the song was popular ... Yeah, it really got old. If you pick a song that’s hot in December, it’s gonna get old,” he said.

“My favorite genre is country. I can never really find a good country song to do. So, I went with back to rock this year, but if I can find a good country one ... I might change it to that later in the spring.”

The meaning

Miller has a sense of his audience, so his walk-up song has something for everyone.

“It’s a good song that everyone knows and everyone loves,” he said. “No matter if you’re like 10 or 11 or if you’re 60 or 70, and I think it’s a great song, too. So, it’s not really too invasive, if that’s the right word, from a crowd standpoint.”

The superstition

For some, going 0-for-20 warrants a new walk-up. But for Miller, it’s about rhythm and how the song feels.

“If I’m hitting really well, I won’t change it, but if I kinda got tired of the song and I was hitting really poorly, then I might change it up. I’m not really superstitious ... but I am a little bit. I think it’s a fun way to get a new start and a new look.”

The opinion

The overall stance on Miller’s song in the clubhouse is positive. But leading off put pressure on Miller to pick a good one.

“Logan Warmoth wanted me to do (‘Wanna) Be Startin’ Somethin’ by Michael Jackson,” Miller said.

The value

“They’re cool, a cool little way to kinda embody you as a player and help get the crowd into it. I’m not opposed to changing them, but if it’s working right now, stick with it.”

The verdict: A+

Miller’s tune possesses the musical intangibles you need leading off a game — it’s catchy and popular. The song promotes a feel-good vibe that boosts momentum.

Catch Miller’s walk-up today as UNC hosts No. 18 St. John’s at 3 p.m.

@WBOD3