Word on the Street: Chapel Hill was voted the No. 1 city for college basketball

Chapel Hill is number one in WalletHub.com's new list of the best and worst cities for college basketball fans. Durham ranked number three. Staff Writer Gregory Hall asked students their thoughts on the matter. 

Terrell Brown

Senior Spanish literature and cultural global studies major 

“I think Tar Heel born, Tar Heel bred are the best type of people to be. For Durham, I think that’s a little too high, just a little.”

Alex Mebane

Junior environmental science major  

“I feel like it’s pretty accurate. UNC basketball has always been one of the best teams in the nation and UNC students — we all go crazy, so yeah seems about right."

Sophia Raterman

First-year biology major 

“I think that’s true because whenever there’s a game the whole entire town gets super hype, it’s not just the students. Alumni come and teachers are watching, so I think it’s a really great town for that. Duke’s celebrations looked fun. They looked number three-ish, but definitely not higher than that.”

Emily Morgan

First-year pre-nursing major  

“Even when it’s not just our team playing, like Duke lost to South Carolina last night, and the entire HoJo was outside like screaming, so even when we’re not playing, everyone gets really into it. And I mean considering Duke just lost and we did see when they beat Chapel Hill, their celebration wasn’t as lit as ours.”

Molly High

Senior media and journalism major 

“I definitely agree that Chapel Hill is the number one town for college basketball because of tradition. A lot of basketball here is just such a tradition, especially running Franklin Street and also just our history in the regular season, ACC tournaments and NCAA tournaments. I think just because of tradition and the general environment here, Chapel Hill is a basketball place.”

Thomas Juneau

Sophomore economics major 

“I’m not surprised at all honestly, like Franklin Street before the UNC-Duke game was crazy with so many people from out of town. Franklin Street is great. And I haven’t been down to Durham for a game. I guess it could be good, but I don’t know.”

Thomas Seibert

Sophomore economics major  

“Definitely best town. I’m not surprised by that.”

@gregoryhall_