All Up In Your Business: Chapel Hill hosts Shred-a-Thon to discard sensitive documents

Shred-A-Thon. Photo Courtesy of Mike Sizemore.

Two Shred-A-Thons will be held in Chapel Hill and Hillsborough next week, allowing residents to safely destroy personal documents at no cost.

“When fraud and identity theft started to become a big issue, it was predominantly from people stealing paper with your identifying materials on it,” said Blair Pollock, a solid waste planner for the Orange County Solid Waste Management Department. “So Orange County decided to put a stop to that by offering citizens the opportunity to shred these confidential papers.”

Last April, 15.5 tons of documents were destroyed at the Chapel Hill event, and over 11 tons of paper were brought to the Hillsborough Shred-A-Thon, Pollock said.

There is a limit of five large bags of paper per Orange County resident or small business, Pollock said. Only paper documents will be shredded.

The Chapel Hill Shred-A-Thon will occur on April 27 at University Place, and the Hillsborough Shred-A-Thon will occur on April 29 at the Hampton Pointe Recycling Site. Both events will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.