Carolina Cupboard prepares to move into new pantry location in the fall

Carolina Cupboard has postponed its relocation to another room of Avery Hall’s basement until the Week of Welcome in fall 2017.

Senior and Food Pantry Director Shawnna Gladney said the delay will allow the organization to work out logistical and maintenance needs — such as installing signs around Avery, ordering more freezers and refrigerators and painting designs on the walls — so the space will not need any renovations after the move.

Gladney said she wants to have the grand reopening of the new location during Week of Welcome because it’s a time of business and high student participation.

“That period of time is a very lively time on campus, so I figured it would be a great opportunity to expose new students to what Carolina Cupboard is doing and individuals who’ve already been aware,” Gladney said. “It would be a great way for us to jump-start by having the grand reopening during that week.”

As of now, the organization has begun the transition into the new room through painting, improving the flooring and moving some refrigerators and food items into the space. Gladney said Carolina Cupboard won’t operate out of the location until it’s completely ready.

Senior Jade Chambers-Blair, the vice chairperson of finances, said the new room in Avery will provide a meeting area for the executive board since the organization doesn’t currently have a centralized meeting space.

Chambers-Blair said the room will also include a computer where recipients can check in by scanning their OneCard, so it will be easier to know what items are being taken by whom.

Sophomore Rachel Korf, the operations and donations chairperson, said the plans for the opening celebration during Week of Welcome will include student group performances, speeches by faculty on food insecurity and tours of the new pantry location.

Korf said other plans for the fall include securing more donors of food items since the space will have more storage space and freezers and fridges for perishable items.

“We have more room for more opportunities and we’ll be able to serve more people through that,” Korf said.

The organization is contacting local restaurants to try to get donations and Gladney said they’re hoping to collaborate with Edible Campus and Sonder Market to provide perishable items.

Gladney said the pantry wants to set up donor sponsorships with UNC departments and organizations for specific food categories over a designated time period.