Letter: ​HB2’s repeal was a mess — Go Heels!

The partial repeal of House Bill 2 is disappointing, but ultimately not surprising. It’s only a partial victory for North Carolina. It should be worrying to all North Carolinians how an economic incentive like NCAA basketball was ultimately the final push to give their fellow North Carolinians the right to use whatever bathroom they choose.

I’ve lived in North Carolina for most of my life, in Chapel Hill no less, and I understand how important basketball is to this state. I promise. I grew up watching the Tar Heels win the 2005 and 2009 championships, so I get it. But I’m disappointed that ultimately it was more important to this state that we be considered for NCAA championship games, rather than our LGBTQ+ communities being protected from discrimination.

Ultimately the bill should have never been passed in the first place, but the past is the past, and it’s too late for the $3.76 billion North Carolina will lose over the next 12 years. I was appalled when HB2 was passed, and disappointed when, even after numerous organizations and companies pulled out of the state, costing the state thousands of jobs, the bill was not repealed.

However, as disappointing as it is that basketball was finally the reason HB2 was “repealed,” it is a testament to this state’s undying allegiance to their teams, even in the face of contentious politics. So, in the wake of controversy and the continued ridicule of this state in national politics, I’d like to say, “Go heels.”

Robin O’Luanaigh

Sophomore

Peace, War and Defense, and Journalism