NCAA sets tentative date for hearings on academic-athletic scandal

ncaa_enforcement

For 18 years, UNC's academic improprieties went unnoticed by the NCAA.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story mistakenly called Deborah Crowder a professor. Crowder is a former UNC staff member. The story has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

UNC released multiple letters Tuesday between the University and the NCAA regarding the timeline for responses to the NCAA's third Notice of Allegations and hearing dates.

Greg Sankey, chairperson of the NCAA Office of the Committees on Infractions, responded on April 14 to a request for more time, saying UNC's response to the third NOA will now be due on May 16 and hearings would occur on Aug. 16 and 17. 

UNC had originally requested an extension to March 27 on March 7, which the NCAA accepted. 

Then UNC requested more time so that the University could review the affidavit provided by Deborah Crowder, a former UNC staff member accused of creating paper classes. 

"As it relates to a new time schedule for the processing of this case, it is vital for all parties to have an adequate time period after Ms. Crowder's interview to thoroughly analyze and digest her testimony," UNC's lawyer, Kansas attorney Richard Evrard, wrote to the NCAA on March 30. 

The May and August dates are tentative. UNC has not published a response to Sankey's April 14 letter. 

Thanks for reading.

Read more in Academic-athletic scandalStudent LifeCorrections