No. 11 UNC men's tennis blows past No. 27 Florida State in 5-2 win

The No. 11 North Carolina men’s tennis team (17-2, 4-1 ACC) continued their home winning streak at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center with a 5-2 win over No. 27 Florida State (13-6, 3-2 ACC).

All three Tar Heel doubles teams defeated the Seminoles to gain the point for doubles. The No. 16 team of first-year William Blumberg and junior Robert Kelly were the first to finish with a 6-2 win.

All but two of the North Carolina singles players won their matches. The first singles match to finish was on Court 1 with No. 31 Blumberg crushing No. 52 Aziz Dougaz 6-1, 6-3. Second to finish was Tar Heel Simon Soendergaard, who fell to Seminole Lucas Poullain 6-3, 6-1. Last to finish was senior Tar Heel, No. 19 Ronnie Schneider, against junior No. 125 Guy Iradukunda, as their match was the only to go into a third set. Schneider lost the first set 7-5, came back in the second 6-4 and the final set on ended in a tiebreak, resulting in a 7-6(3) loss for Schneider.

Kelly struggled against junior Jose Garcia, as the two were tied three times over the course of the first set, which Kelly won 7-5. Garcia, a vocal player, trailed close behind Kelly throughout the second set, as well. The Seminole from Delray Beach, Florida later pulled ahead 6-5, which Kelly matched 6-6, leading to a second set tiebreak. Kelly took the tiebreak to capture the set win 7-5, 7-6(2).

Kelly on Court 3 was fourth to finish after the tiebreak, clinching the win for the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels fell in the rankings last week from No. 9 to No. 11, though they beat Tulsa. Defeating a ranked team could help their standings. Head coach Sam Paul said that this match was the best that the team has played outdoors.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Clemson on Friday to play the Tigers at 12 p.m.