Opinion: Avoid using Raleigh-Durham as a dateline location

The address of The Daily Tar Heel’s office says it is in Chapel Hill. The University of North Carolina we attend is in Chapel Hill. Duke is in Durham, N.C. State is in Raleigh. All this should be clear.

The thing is, some people still refer to the area as Raleigh-Durham — a term we protest.

Obviously, the singular town of Raleigh-Durham doesn’t exist, and that’s confusing. Because of its airport-name connection, it promotes the idea that areas outside major East and West Coast urban centers are only worthy of being flown over. We strongly disagree.

When referring to this area, saying “the Triangle” is a much more inclusive way to make sure we don’t gloss over all the cool, smaller towns in the region.

The Triangle includes our beloved Chapel Hill and is broad enough to envelop Apex, Cary and Hillsborough — just to name a few.

When looking at the whole region, we begin to see why we all love this area so much. You can be in hip Durham, metropolitan Raleigh, small town Chapel Hill or rural Hillsborough in just a few minutes’ drive.

The Triangle boasts world-class research, great basketball, major universities and a ton of microbreweries too.

Even though no one’s forgetting Chapel Hill this week (thanks, Joel Berry), we don’t want a repeat of national news outlets getting our area’s name wrong.

Keep Raleigh-Durham to the airport only, please.