Opinion: Let’s continue to help UNC become accessible to all

All UNC students deserve to be able to fully participate in their classes — which makes the work of the Accessibility Resources and Service office not only logistically important for students, teachers and staff alike, but key to UNC’s mission.

Right now, the Accessibility Resources and Service office offers a variety of services for students with learning disabilities on campus. Services include advocating for class absences, extensions for assignments, individualized testing arrangements and accessibility to e-books and other materials.

With the varying services the office offers and the depth of accommodations that are necessary for students, it seems as if ARS could be in need of more full-time staff. Not only would this relieve some of the pressure on the current staff, who are doing a phenomenal job already, but it would allow for a more in-depth approach to serving students with regard to their disabilities.

UNC has always strived to serve as an inclusive environment in numerous ways, and expanding on the great work of the Accessibility Resources and Service office is one of the ways UNC can continue to work toward that goal.

Adding more full-time staff would not only help students here at UNC — it would also help those who are currently working tirelessly to provide such a wide breadth of services.

With more staff, educational opportunities for those without disabilities could be added — and could be an effective way to further the inclusivity of campus inside and outside the classroom.