Refugee support concert to be held on Saturday

Cat’s Cradle and Love Chapel Hill are hosting “The Sound of Solidarity Concert” on Saturday, which benefits refugees.

The show features David Wimbish of The Collection, Delta Son and Jess Klein. The proceeds will be received by the Refugee Community Partnership.

Delta Son is a blues-rock band from Wadsworth, Ohio. Klien, who lives in Hillsborough, is a singer-songwriter who focuses her sound in Americana and roots music. She’s been performing since 1998.

Sophomore Madison Hurst, an employee at the Refugee Community Partnership and an attendee at Love Chapel Hill, said both the Refugee Community Partnership and Love Chapel Hill are concerned with uniting the community in spite the recent division.

“They don’t just want to raise money to help local refugees and leave it at that,” Hurst said.

“Both Love Chapel Hill and Refugee Community Partnership deeply want to build friendships and community and do life with people.”

She stressed the importance of creating a safe space for those who are affected by pressing issues.

“I think it’s amazing to have a night to stand together and let people know that they are supported and valued,” Hurst said. “It brings humanity back into the discussion, and helps people feel safe and protected in our communities.”

David Wimbish, the key songwriter for The Collection, explained the pressing impact the election had on the refugees.

“Especially since the election, my mind has been on refugees,” Wimbish said.

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to have to flee your home country for fear of death or persecution.”

Wimbish wants the concert to be a space where the attendees are made aware that the burden and fear of being a refugee isn’t a weight that has to be carried alone.

“My hope is that people will see that there are refugees that have been placed right here that need support and help adjusting to a new life, and that we can be neighbors to them,” he said.

Klein, a singer-songwriter, recalled her grandparents’ past as Russian refugees and her inclination to honor them through this concert.

“I feel it is my duty to honor my family by working in solidarity with those who are seeking refuge from unlivable conditions now,” Klein said.

She said lovers of good music and strong communal ties should attend.

swerve@dailytarheel.com