UNC baseball crushes Campbell 7-1 on Wednesday night

On a beautiful Wednesday evening the North Carolina baseball team hosted the Campbell Fighting Camels. This game turned out to be a slow one but the Tar Heels were able to emerge victorious in a 7-1 win.

UNC got started early in this one. A leadoff walk to Brian Miller set the Tar Heel hitting machine up to manufacture a run. 

The bottom of the first Kyle Datres hit a sky scraping popup to right field. A charging right fielder got the ball handcuffed and Brian Miller who had walked earlier was able to score from third to give the Tar Heels a 1-0 lead. 

This would be enough breathing room for pitcher Jason Morgan. The junior worked three scoreless innings, giving up only one hit and striking out one as well. Campbell pitcher Andrew Witczak went toe to toe with Morgan except for the unearned run in the first inning. 

The game went scoreless until the bottom of the fifth, when Logan Warmoth brought home two Tar Heels with an RBI double down the left field line to give UNC a 3-0 lead. North Carolina expanded the lead in the sixth as Tyler Lynn scored on a wild pitch before another Warmoth double brought in Miller to give UNC a 5-0 advantage. 

The seventh was no different as two more Tar Heels came in to score on a Zach Gahagan double. The 7-0 lead was more than enough for the Tar Heel bullpen. A combination of Rodney Hutchison, Brett Daniels, Trevor Gay and Bo Weiss kept the Fighting Camel bats stymied until the ninth, when an RBI double with two outs pushed across the lone run.

Logan Warmoth continued his hot streak at the plate, going 3-5 with three RBI doubles. He finished the game with three RBIs.

This one was decided in the bottom of the fifth. Warmoth's RBI double put the nail in the Fighting Camel's coffin, ultimately swinging all the wind from the Campbell sails. From that point on it was all Tar Heels. 

That fifth inning rally opened up the floodgates for UNC, as the Tar Heels scored runs in each inning from the fifth-seventh.

The win gives UNC momentum going into a pivotal series this weekend with Clemson. Both teams currently rank in the top five nationally. In addition, North Carolina sits in first in the Coastal Division, while Clemson is in second in the Atlantic. 

Coming this late in the season, this series could act as a big momentum booster for the last few games.

Where do they play next?

The North Carolina baseball team plays at home vs. Clemson next. 

@WBOD3