UNC men's tennis continues hot streak in 7-0 win over Clemson

The No. 11 North Carolina men’s tennis team dominated Clemson on Friday afternoon, finishing singles play without dropping a set on its way to a convincing 7-0 victory.

The Tar Heels traveled to Clemson hoping to continue the momentum they had built up over the course of the past five matches, having racked up five consecutive wins since losing a tight contest to Wake Forest on Mar. 10.

Things got off to a good start in doubles, as the pairing of Anu Kodali and Ronnie Schneider cruised to a comfortable 6-2 win to seal the first match of the day for UNC. However, in the second match, the ninth-ranked doubles pairing of William Blumberg and Robert Kelly fell to the Tigers' No. 82 duo of Daffra Sanon and Sam Edwards. Despite this setback, the pairing of Jack Murray and Simon Soendergaard countered with a 6-4 win to clinch the doubles point for North Carolina.

In singles, No. 23 Schneider routed Clemson’s Alex Favrot (6-0, 6-1), while No. 93 Kelly bounced back with a commanding win of his own (6-1, 6-0). No. 34 Blumberg also redeemed himself, narrowly defeating Sanon in a tiebreak. Jack Murray, Blaine Boyden and Soendergaard all easily took care of business in their matches, handing UNC its eighth shutout win of the season.

After needing all three matches to clinch the doubles point, the Tar Heels regrouped and came out hot in singles. In the end, the result never looked in doubt, as the Tigers failed to win a set in any of their singles matches.

With less than three weeks before the ACC Championships in Georgia, the Tar Heels are rounding into form at the right time. Six wins in a row means that confidence will be high heading into the final stretch of the season, and UNC will be hoping to continue its run for as long as possible.