UNC softball cruises past Virginia in 12-1 win

After dropping Friday’s series opener against Virginia (12-23, 3-11 ACC), the North Carolina softball team started strong on Saturday and cruised to a 12-1 victory.

UNC (28-9, 8-3 ACC) got the scoring started early thanks to a first-inning sacrifice fly from Berlynne Delamora that scored Leah Murray. With two outs in the frame, Destiny DeBerry added to the scoring with an RBI single, giving UNC a 2-0 lead after an inning.

The Tar Heels kept rolling in the second inning when Taylor Wike singled home Hailey Cole with two outs to extend the lead to three runs.

After UNC starting pitcher Brittany Pickett held Virginia scoreless through two, the Cavaliers finally broke through in the third when Cavaliers’ pitcher Erika Osherow led off with a solo home run.

Unfazed, Pickett answered back at the plate in the fourth inning. With a full count and the bases empty, Pickett launched Osherow’s payoff pitch to left-centerfield for a home run. As the ball sailed over the Anderson Stadium fence, it grazed the American flag that flew more than 15 feet above the wall to give UNC a 4-1 lead.

The Tar Heels’ offense broke free for good in the sixth inning. Nine batters came to the plate, with eight of them scoring, capped by a grand slam from catcher Katie Bailiff. Bailiff’s home run gave UNC a 12-1 lead that was large enough to prompt the automatic run rule and secure UNC’s victory.

Pickett led the Tar Heels on both sides of the ball. In the circle, she was solid — throwing three strikeouts while limiting Virginia to five hits and one run — and on offense she helped her own cause with a no-doubt home run to left-centerfield.

Taylor Wike also impressed, going two-for-three with a walk, scoring two runs and stealing a base while anchoring the defense at shortstop.

Bailiff only had one hit in her four at bats, but the one came at the right time. Her sixth-inning grand slam capped an electric inning for UNC and gave the Tar Heels a walkoff, run-rule win.

Though Pickett’s solid pitching made a three-run lead likely solid enough, the Tar Heels exploded in the sixth inning, scoring eight runs and finishing the game with a run-rule victory.

After both pitching and hitting fell flat on Friday night, it was important for the Tar Heels to bounce back and even the weekend series against an ACC foe — which they did in style. Virginia is also near the bottom of the ACC standings, and the Tar Heels could ill afford to lose the series if they want to maintain hopes of a strong conference finish.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will finish off the series with the rubber match against Virginia on Sunday with first pitch coming at 1 p.m.