UNC softball drops first in three-game weekend set against Virginia

The North Carolina softball team (27-9, 7-3 ACC) couldn’t catch a break against the hot-hitting Cavaliers (12-22, 3-10 ACC), losing 10-4 in the first game of a three-game set against Virginia. The Cavaliers recorded 10 runs on 12 hits.

Rain decided to make an unwanted appearance right at the start of the game. After one at bat, the umpires and coaches got together to discuss delaying the game. After about five minutes of discussion, they decided to play on despite the adverse weather conditions.

After a slow start in the first inning on both sides, Virginia struck first with a run in the top of the second inning.

At the top of the third, Virginia’s Katie Park, the second batter up, slammed a ball over the tree line behind center field. The home run scored two batters, extending the score in the Cavaliers’ favor.

At the bottom of the third, junior Taylor Wike hit a sacrifice bunt, which allowed first-year Hailey Cole to slide into home, barely beating the catcher’s outstretched mitt. Following the run, Lynch stepped up to the plate and doubled through center field, running two batters in and tying the game at three apiece.

Sophomore Katie Bailiff, the next batter up, singled up the middle, allowing Lynch to reach home for the Tar Heels’ fourth run of the inning.

Following a red-hot inning for UNC, Virginia countered almost immediately, scoring two runs of its own. The score became 5-4. In response, Lynch took the mound once again to try to stop Virginia’s sudden hot hand. She was successful and helped secure the two remaining outs.

In the top of the fifth, there was yet another Cavalier home run – their third of the game. The homer resulted in two runs, making the score 7-4.

Virginia continued its hot hitting in the sixth inning with an RBI double and a two-run RBI double, increasing its lead to 10-4. Once the Tar Heels took the plate, they were unable to cut into the lead, recording a quick three outs.

First-year Kellyn Daly took over pitching duties at the top of the seventh inning to finish out the game. She recorded her fifth and sixth career strikeouts in the inning, allowing the Tar Heels one more shot at overcoming the six run deficit.

UNC was unable to get out if its hitting slump in the bottom of the seventh.

Although it was a tough night for North Carolina, first-year Campbell Hutcherson had a stellar game. She recorded eight outs with zero errors. Two of her outs came from pop flies. Her most impressive out came from a line-drive bullet headed right for her. Remaining composed, she snatched the ball as it headed directly at her and the crowd expressed its amazement with a loud cheer.

The game began to creep away from UNC in the fourth inning. Following the Tar Heels four-run third inning, they were unable to get a runner across home the rest of the night. Meanwhile, Virginia kept scoring at a consistent pace, eventually making the deficit too large to overcome.

This loss is a tough one for the Tar Heels. Virginia was second to last in the ACC coming into the game, only ahead of Pittsburgh. The Cavaliers also had lost 10 of their last 11 games.

The good news for UNC, however, is that Virginia has failed to capture two wins in any three-game series so far this season.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels continue their three game series against the Cavaliers this weekend in Anderson Stadium.

@esingletary4