UNC women's tennis sweeps Notre Dame

The No. 4 North Carolina women’s tennis team traveled to Notre Dame and swept the No. 29 Fighting Irish, 7-0, at Courtney Tennis Center on Sunday.

The Tar Heels' doubles team of junior Cassandra Vasquez and first-year Alexa Graham started the match off with a quick 6-1 win. The No. 1 doubles team of senior Hayley Carter and first-year Sara Daavettila struggled in its 6-4 win that secured the doubles point, as the pair was tied twice throughout its matchup. This was just the second time Carter and Daavettila have played together since their match against Florida in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, which was left unfinished at 4-4.

The first five Tar Heels to finish in singles, each nationally ranked, won their matches handily and rarely gave their opponents the lead. On Court No. 6, though, sophomore Chloe Ouellet-Pizer won her first set 6-2 but struggled to get a lead against sophomore Rachel Chong in the second set, losing 7-6. Ouellet-Pizer came back in her third set, 10-8, and secured the final point for the Tar Heels to finish the sweep.

No. 3 Carter injured her leg against Georgia Tech a week ago, but it didn't stop her from playing then or today. Carter was the first to finish in singles, quickly finishing off No. 71 Monica Robinson (6-0, 6-2).

The Tar Heels led throughout the match after coming out on top in doubles. The win was secured by No. 100 Makenna Jones’ 6-3, 6-1 win on Court No. 5, as she finished third. She continued the theme of quick, sniper-like victories set by Carter and No. 46 Graham, who finished second and won, 6-1, 6-2.

Against Michigan three days ago, head coach Brian Kalbas shuffled around the lineup for doubles. Sunday was the second time sophomore Jessie Aney and redshirt senior Rachel James-Baker have ever played together in a match. Aney and James-Baker did well against Michigan together but struggled today, as their match was left unfinished in a 6-6 tie. With ACC Championships coming up in just two weeks, the new doubles teams need to get acclimated to playing together quickly. They have five matches left to do so, unless the lineup is swapped again.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will hit the road again for their next match against Louisville on Thursday at 2 pm.