Underclassmen highlight Senior Weekend for UNC softball

The North Carolina softball team’s weekend series against Boston College was billed as “Senior Weekend" to honor UNC’s two soon-departing seniors, Kendra Lynch and Erin Sugg. 

However, the underclassmen were the ones who led the charge in the Tar Heels’ series sweep over the Eagles (24-17, 8-6 ACC), lifting UNC (35-11, 13-5 ACC) to second place in the ACC. 

First-year Brittany Pickett set the tone for the weekend, throwing complete games in both games of Friday’s doubleheader. Pickett allowed just one earned run in the Tar Heels’ 7-4 win in the opener and followed that up with a complete game shutout to take game two, 2-0. 

On Saturday, Pickett relieved in the fourth inning Lynch with UNC trailing, 2-1and held the Eagles in check as UNC roared back to secure the sweep with an 8-3 victory. The win was Pickett’s third in two days, improving her record to 20-2. 

Pickett, who ended the weekend with 17 strikeouts and lowered her ERA to 1.99 on the season, said she’s found a rhythm thanks to gaining experience. 

“With as much pitching as I’ve been doing, I’m in the same groove that I have been,” she said. “I’ve gotten really consistent and each batter is different, but I’m executing (my pitches) well.”

Pickett helped her own cause at the plate, roping a solo home run deep into the trees beyond the Anderson Stadium right-field fence in Friday’s first game. She added another home run in the fourth inning on Saturday to even the score. 

Junior second baseman Katelyn Shifflett drove in both Tar Heel runs in game two, while sophomore Katie Bailiff keyed the Tar Heel offense in the series opener, going 2-3 with a pair of RBIs and a walk. 

Bailiff said the Tar Heels’ youth isn’t a handicap; rather, it allows players more chances to showcase their abilities.

“I think a lot of us feed off each other,” Bailiff said. “Even though we have a young class, people know their roles.”

Head coach Donna Papa said she was impressed by the Tar Heels' fielding, which was sparked by outstanding catches from sophomore Berlynne Delamora and first-year Campbell Hutcherson at third and first base, respectively. 

Papa highlighted Lynch and Sugg’s leadership as the team’s sole seniors, but she said youth, which largely defines the Tar Heels, makes her job different than it has been in years past.

"Hopefully, they’re gaining very valuable experience from this year,” she said. “And they’re gonna make mistakes — this is a game of failure all the time. Sometimes you’re just gonna make mistakes whether it’s communication or misplaying a ball.”

In light of a crucial conference sweep, Papa stayed positive, focusing on the benefits of coaching a young team that is ripe for improvement.

“I think in the end, they’ve learned every day," she said.