Board of Trustees reviews programs, welcomes Elizabeth Adkins

The UNC Board of Trustees met Wednesday and Thursday to review some of the new programs that have been developed for the past few years, to say goodbye to one of its members and to say hello to a new one who’s quite a bit younger than the rest.

New and Old Members

Student Body President Elizabeth Adkins was sworn in Thursday morning and sat on the board for her first time.

“I just want to start off by saying I’m so honored to be here today and to be part of this prestigious group,” she said. “My first responsibility on this board is to be a voice for the students. That’s the job of the student body president, and I’m prepared to do it.”

Adkins said that while she’s on the board she’s not going to walk on eggshells. She plans to push for increased resources for sexual assault survivors and to make campus mental health services more accessible to students on and off campus.

Then, the board thanked the current chairperson, Dwight Stone, for his leadership as this was the last meeting he chaired. Stone will remain a trustee and said he’s grateful for the work they’ve done over the past year.

“You’ve shown my kindness, support and the willingness to roll up your sleeves and do the work that needs to be done,” he said. “Thank you all for putting your trust in me as your chair.”

After eight years of service, Don Curtis will be ending his time on the board. He has been made an honorary trustee by the board, and may still attend meetings. Stone bid him a fond farewell, saying he had been a great asset to the board and the UNC community.

“I love being a Tar Heel,” Stone said. “It’s hard to describe to anyone that is not a Tar Heel exactly what being a Tar Heel is. I can only say it’s in your soul, and it’ll always be in mine.”

Community Outreach

Two presentations were given to the board, one from the School of Dentistry and one from UNC Horizons.

Executive Director of Horizons Hendrée Jones said the program is designed to rehabilitate and care for mothers who are recovering from drug addictions and their children.

“Horizons is a place where mothers come to heal,” she said. “They find and they use their voice. They also find a place where they can learn financial and emotional health.”

She said UNC Horizons provides different ranges of services to pregnant women and mothers, including counseling and health information to intensive in-house care.

“If you’re a woman in residential treatment receiving our whole array of services, it’s probably about $23,000 a year,” she said.

Jones said UNC’s program is the only one of its kind that’s backed by a medical school.

“I’ve been all over the world researching programs for women, and I can tell you without a doubt that not only is this program the best in North Carolina, but the best in the world,” she said. “Carolina is leading the way globally on every continent and that makes me proud.”

Dean Scott De Rossi and his students Sarah Strickland and Nehemiah Lawson presented on behalf of the School of Dentistry, highlighting their program for free dental care in Chapel Hill and international outreach.

“We have the best dental school in the country with the best students,” De Rossi said. “The thing that really distinguishes our school of dentistry is our service and our outreach.”

Lawson said several dental school students attended an Orange Water and Sewer Authority meeting to advocate for fluoridation of the town’s water, and they also run a free dental clinic every Wednesday night that provides screenings and dental services to those in need.

Strickland said that between the free clinic and the services students provide in Durham, dental students provided almost 4 million dollars in free care between 2015 and 2016.

Funding Distributions and Construction

• The Board voted on and approved funding distributions for several new projects, as well as laid out fundraising goals that will be voted on in October.
  • The BOT resolved to set aside $14 million for the construction of a new women’s field hockey center. The center will have a team facility, playing field, press box and stadium seating.
  • A new elevator will be added to New East. The project budget is $1.65 million. 
  • $10 million will be given to athletics in order to build support for the ACC media network in Koury Natatorium.