Carolina Ale House's Chapel Hill location closed May 22 after a year and a half of business on Franklin Street.

Katherine Goldfaden, the director of marketing at the restaurant’s parent company LM Restaurants, Inc., said the Chapel Hill location did not meet the expectations the company originally forecast. Goldfaden said there was a 10-year lease on the property, and it was a well thought out decision to close the restaurant.

“We have been really happy in Chapel Hill,” she said. “We made a lot of friends and a lot of partners on the street. It’s such a warm community and we’re definitely going to miss that.”

A press release from LM Restaurants said it was thankful for Chapel Hill’s community and its support, and it commented on the status of the restaurant’s employees.

“All employees in good standing will have the opportunity to fill positions in other locations,” Goldfaden said in a statement.

She said a possible factor in the location’s failure and the decision to close may have been the restaurant’s lack of parking on West Franklin Street. 

“Our other locations are standalone with our own parking lot, so that makes a big difference,” she said.

Goldfaden said other Carolina Ale House locations are not in danger of closing.

“This decision to close Franklin Street is singular to Franklin Street,” she said. “There’s no bearing on any other locations or their success.”

A notice was posted on the front door of the foreclosed restaurant to announce the closing. The notice said the decision was a difficult one.

“We have loved being a part of the amazing Chapel Hill-Carrboro community and look forward to seeing you again in other adventures,” the notice said. “Cheers!”