The art world can seem very exclusive and impervious.

Those who don’t believe they possess natural artistic “talent” often discard any prospect of creative expression. When doing so, they cut out a large chunk of the human experience without even realizing it. You don’t have to be extraordinarily talented to create something of meaning. We’re conditioned to think that art is for the prodigal, the 1 percent elite of artists. But the truth is just the opposite — art is democracy.

In a world where everyone created art, we would experience heightened communication and understanding. Art is built upon the exchange of ideas and is interpersonal in nature. Information or opinions displayed in an artistic form have the potential to reach people and spark conversation in unconventional ways. The possibilities for subject matter and intent are endless; art provides a platform to discuss every single aspect of humanity, from politics to cultural heritage to teen angst.

If you’re one of the self-proclaimed non-artists out there, here are ways you can integrate art into your life:

Pick up a pencil and just start drawing. Drawing skills do not come immediately, rather it takes hours and hours of practice. A viral Ted Talk by Graham Shaw demonstrates several simple cartoons that anyone can recreate and discusses how drawing helped stroke-sufferers.

Go play a piano in the basement of Hill Hall. Inside are dozens of completely private practice rooms with uprights and electric pianos. Hinton James, Eringhaus, Cobb and Ruffin are just a few of the residence halls that have pianos available to play (at no cost). If you need sheet music, websites such as 8notes.com have an endless supply for all levels.

Attend events on campus at the Ackland Art Museum (which has free admission), Memorial Hall or Forest Theatre for inspiration. Visit carolinaperformingarts.org and use your onyen to redeem discounted tickets for upcoming performances. For a change of scenery, attend events off campus at places like Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle or the Arts Center.

Take an art class. All UNC students are required to take a VP credit. Use this to your advantage and take a cool class that interests you! In the spring, I took a great class called Rock Lab (MUSC 158) where I was placed into a band of other student musicians and practice with them several times a week. These kinds of classes can also be a good introduction to the arts scene in Chapel Hill. Visit the UNC course catalog for a complete list of available courses to take under DRAM, ARTS, MUSC and various others.

A lot of us are in need of an outlet. Even if it’s just cartoons, there’s a place for everyone in the art world.