Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Man found dead in UNC building

Update (5:50 p.m.): The dead person found inside a UNC-owned building has been identified as Christopher Burnette, Sr., 56, from Chapel Hill, according to a statement released by the Carrboro Police Department. His body has been sent to the medical examiner's office, and currently, there are no signs of foul play involving his death.

The Carrboro Police Department found a dead person in a UNC-owned building in Carrboro this morning while responding to a dispatch for a suspicious person complaint. The identity of the deceased has not been released by the police. 

"We have not released his identity yet at this point because we have not been able to contact his next of kin," Capt. Chris Atack of the Carrboro Police Department said. "And it is still an ongoing investigation but we do not have any concerns for external safety for other folks. We don't think this is a situation where other people need to be concerned for their safety."

The building, located at 400 Roberson Street, houses the Service Center of Excellence, which is a part of UNC's Division of Finance and Administration. According to a statement released by the Carrboro Police Department, access to the area surrounding the center is restricted and the rest of the street is open.

"Roberson St. is fully open and the adjacent bike lane is open as well except for the initial section leading off of Roberson St.," the statement read. 

The Carrboro Police Department asks that anyone with information on this incident call Sgt. Metz at (919) 918-7418 or Crime Stoppers at (919) 942-7515.