Chancellor’s letter for first-year students

Chancellor Carol Folt delivers her State of the University address to the UNC Student Congress Tuesday evening in the Aquarium Lounge of the Student Union. She began her speech by addressing House Bill 2 and how she plans to respond on campus.

Dear Class of 2021,

Welcome to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. You are joining a very special, global community that will support and inspire you during your time at Carolina.

I challenge you — as I have challenged classes before you — not to just learn what was already known, but to be people creating what is not yet known. I call upon you to use your time here to develop skills and courage to take your great ideas and make them a reality.

At Carolina, you will have the resources you need to achieve great things. From our world-class faculty to the dedicated mentors, advisors and staff you will meet along your way, all share a common goal – your success. I also encourage you to get to know your classmates – they will become friends you cherish for life.

I hope you are looking forward to beginning your journey as much as we are looking forward to meeting you and seeing how far your time at Carolina will take you. I also look forward to seeing you at the New Student Convocation on Aug. 20 and many more times over your next four years.

Welcome to your new home,

Carol L. Folt

Chancellor