Students haven't received UNC housing assignments

The lobby of Hinton James has been transformed into a haven for UNC. 

Incoming first-year Kathryn Hintze said she turned in her housing application two months before the due date and is still waiting to receive her housing assignment.

“We just kinda get this email every week. After the first email I got, I emailed them, and then 2 weeks later they emailed me back and they’re like, there’s not a definitive timeline, and just to be patient,” Hintze said.

Carolina Housing Assignments Coordinator Steven Wiley said this happens every year, because Carolina Housing does not receive athletic rosters or other special programs rosters in time to coordinate rooms accordingly.

“So when we do that we have several hundred students, and this year it was 256, that had applied by the deadline that did not receive their assignments with the initial batch,” Wiley said. “And we always have between that and 350 (students) every year because what happens is some of our special programs base, whether it’s athletics or RLPs (Residential Learning Programs) and things like that, those rosters are not set when we set out that first batch of assignments.”

Hintze said although she turned her application in on time, Carolina Housing administers their assignments through a lottery system.

“They said it was a random lottery, so it doesn’t matter I guess when I turned it in, so the lottery didn’t work in my favor.”

Incoming first-year Lainey Nix also has not received her Carolina Housing assignment and just wants to live on South Campus to ensure that she’s living with mostly first-years.

“We’re worried that like we’ll either have to live on a freshman hall instead of a freshman building on North Campus, for example, and that’s really the only thing,” Nix said.”It’s not really that concerning that it’s late, it’s more like I don’t know where are they going to put me.”

Wiley said Carolina Housing administers assignments this way to make sure that first-year students are in the same dorm building, and that roommates who have requested each other are prioritized over students who haven’t requested anyone.

“We wanted to still stick all of our first-years with other first-year students so they didn’t miss out on that experience,” Wiley said.

Wiley said Carolina Housing understands that this is stressful for students and they are working hard to get their assignments coordinated.

“We’ve all gone to school at some point or another, so we all understand what it means, so that’s why we’re working as hard as we can to get them assigned,” Wiley said. “We wanted the assignments to be correct, not just complete, so we didn’t want to just put them with a bunch of returning students where we had space, we wanted to put them with other first-year students.”