Linebackers provide stability for hard-to-predict UNC lineup

Cole Holcomb

North Carolina senior outside linebacker Cole Holcomb (36) talks to media after the team's practice on Thursday

At preseason media events like the ACC Football Kickoff, which was held in Charlotte in July, coaches typically try to talk extensively only about what they feel confident in, while shying away from dialogue regarding the unknown.

So when North Carolina football coach Larry Fedora was bombarded by questions about all that is unclear on the offensive side of the ball, which is essentially a conversation involving every position group except the tight ends, he had much more clarity about his linebackers.

With what should be a transitional year for the Tar Heels, North Carolina’s linebacking corps is arguably the most stable part of the team, with starters Andre Smith, Cole Holcomb and Cayson Collins all returning.

“That group in the linebacker position ... really can be the strength of our defense this year.,” Fedora said in July.

A month later and several practices into training camp, he echoed those sentiments, saying, “that’s a group you really don’t worry about.”

For all the hypotheticals and things up in the air for UNC this season, at least Fedora can rest his head at night knowing more or less what to expect from his linebackers, in part because of the seasons Smith, Holcomb and Collins had a year ago.

Heading into the 2016 season, there were some question marks at linebacker for the Tar Heels after the departures of Shakeel Rashad and Jeff Schoettmer. But for the most part, Smith, Collins and Holcomb held their own, providing a glimpse of what could come this season.

Holcomb, a former walk-on who did not earn a scholarship until August 2016, had a breakout season. Playing at outside linebacker as a junior, he led the Tar Heels with 115 tackles. Fedora offered high praise to Holcomb recently, saying “pound for pound, he’s the strongest guy on our football team.”

Right behind him with 113 tackles was Smith, a bulky 240-pound middle linebacker who should continue to develop in talent and leadership as a junior. Rounding out the group is Collins, a player with an athletic 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame coming off a 60-tackle season.

Add in the fact that the trio of Smith, Collins and Holcomb started a combined 31 games in 2016, and it’s easy to see why another season with the same sort of continuity could pay big dividends for them — and the Tar Heel defense as a whole.

In 2016, the play of UNC’s linebackers was impressive, if not a bit unexpected. But this year, expectations are high. For all the strides the Tar Heel defensive line has made in terms of depth and for all the upside that exists in UNC’s secondary, the linebacker group is expected to be the core of the defense. Does that mean there’s added pressure? Not according to Holcomb.

“Everything goes through the linebacker corps – from the plays to the checks to the calls that are made,” he said. “So we definitely have that weight but we wouldn’t want it any other way. That’s what we like.”

Providing depth behind Holcomb, Smith and Collins are returning reserves Ayden Bonilla, Hunter Crafford and Dominique Ross. Earlier this month, Fedora also mentioned first-year Malik Robinson as one of the younger players who had been standing out. As is to be expected in football, injuries could happen, but Fedora’s decision to convert first-year Kayne Roberts from linebacker to running back suggests he’s pleased with the group’s depth.

Not much has changed schematically for the linebackers since their former position coach, John Papuchis, was promoted to defensive coordinator after Gene Chizik’s resignation. But there are some new areas of emphasis.

“Some things that we emphasize a little bit more are stopping the run and trying to get home on pressures,” Smith said.

That sounds about right considering UNC allowed 227.31 rushing yards per game last season, which was 109th nationally. Any coach will explain that a good run defense is built around the defensive line getting penetration up front, but the linebackers need to play their role, too.

Perhaps a new directive from first-year linebackers coach Mike Ekeler could help in that regard.

Ekeler, who served as the defensive coordinator at North Texas before coming to UNC, has told his linebackers to “be an eraser” against the run and rely less on help from the safeties.

“Coach Ek is all about technique,” Holcomb said. “He’ll sit there for an hour and a half, and we’ll just talk about technique. He knows we know it as old guys – we already know the defense. So there’s no point in going over that because we’re already doing everything right, we’re already doing that. Now it’s what’s our technique’s like.”