S.O.S. from the EPA

eclipse-2017
A total solar eclipse fell on the continental United States on Monday afternoon. Chapel Hill witnessed a partial eclipse with 92% of the sun blocked during peak coverage time at 2:43pm.

Scientists were able to give us the exact date, time, length and location of the recent solar eclipse, an event occurring 4,000 miles from Earth. Most of us were smart enough to wear those funny glasses when we looked up. 

Science also tells us when the next eclipse will be — July 2, 2019. 

With equally compelling accuracy, the scientific community has been sounding the alarms about climate change for decades. It is possibly the most daunting and consequential issue of our time. 

Unfortunately, the federal government refuses to heed the warnings and invest in the comprehensive approach that we need. 

It is easy to feel disheartened. It is easy to feel powerless. What can you — a micro-speck in the microcosm — do to combat this global issue? 

Join other UNC students and start right here on campus. 

The Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee (RESPC) allocates a $4-per-student fee to execute projects involving energy efficiency on campus. Examples range from solar thermal collectors in Morrison Residence Hall to solar umbrellas in picnic tables across campus. 

Seal the Seasons, a start-up founded by a Carolina student, flash freezes local farm produce to sell to consumers year round at peak freshness. Their products are now available in grocery stores such as Whole Foods and Harris Teeter. 

The UNC Greek Green Games coordinate competitions across sororities and fraternities in a partnership with the Orange County Waste Department in an effort to encourage more reusing, recycling and generally green behavior in chapters. Points are rewarded for efforts such as reducing energy use, composting and wasting less water. 

And these are just to mention a few. The Carolina campus has clearly not been defeated by a stunning lack of federal involvement. You shouldn’t be either. 

As Tar Heels watched the eclipse last week on Polk Place and as thousands gathered together throughout the eclipse’s path, one could feel tiny gazing up into our vast universe. But looking around at the all the others embracing this natural phenomenon, you could also feel part of a powerful community. 

When we come together to act locally, we can make a difference for our world — and we don’t even have to wear those funny looking glasses.