Annetta Streater attends last School Board Meeting

Annetta Stokes Streater attended her last Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education meeting on Monday night.

Board Chair James Barrett recognized Streater for her 11 years of service on the board. 

“You’ve done a terrific job and we’re thankful for everything you’ve done,” he said. 

Streater’s resignation leaves an empty seat on the board for November’s election. While her vacancy will require other board members to take her place during some committee meetings, Streater said she hopes her farewell will not affect the work currently being done. 

“I do intend to stay involved as much as I am able to.” Streater said. “I’ve assured my board colleagues and others who have read my release that I will continue to be an advocate for high quality public education. You’ll see me in different arenas, it just won’t be connected to the school board work.”

Board member Rani Dasi said she was surprised by Streater’s decision to resign, but the school board’s agenda will continue as planned.

“She left a strong foundation to work from,” Dasi said. “So I don’t anticipate any slowdown in the work towards the goals we have in front of us.”

Dasi got to know Streater when she joined the board in 2015. She said Streater brought a focus, energy and spirit to her work. 

“It’s a loss for the board,” Dasi said. “We created a strong dynamic and made good progress in the last year towards some of our really important goals. She really has been an important part of that work. I just wish her the best and that she moves forward into her new endeavors.”

Streater said increasing work, family and academic commitments led her to resign from the board.

“I had to make that tough decision,” Streater said. “I’ll miss the most the engagement with the students and having opportunities to see the work that they’re doing, the high level of engagement, and hear positive feedback on their school experiences.”

Streater initially could not decide what her most important work was on the board. Then it clicked: providing equitable opportunities for all children to learn and grow.

“Some examples of that have been receiving feedback from our students who haven’t necessarily had positive experience through their learning, particularly our high school students,” Streater said.

Another proud moment for Streater was the opening of the bilingual Spanish immersion magnet school, Frank Porter Graham Bilingüe Elementary. 

On leaving her official title and position on the board, Streater said she was grateful for the prospect to serve.

“I really want to thank the entire community,” Streater said. “All of those who have supported me over the years. It’s just a big thank you for your continued advocacies and for giving me really the privilege to serve your children.”