The classroom isn't the best for collaborative learning across discipline and educational experiences. 

While gathering in a lecture hall may be the most efficient way for an expert to convey knowledge, something is left to be desired. Grades, teacher-student power dynamics, enrollment caps and, in many cases, early start times, leave room for something to be desired. 

We at The Daily Tar Heel believed that if we started a book club it could even the playing field. So we did. 

Our club is going to bring authors and notable people to Chapel Hill to lead the community in a discussion around a central book. 

This isn't for one person. When we say it’s a community book club, we mean it. It's open to the public — you don't need to be a UNC student or professor to attend.

The link to register for our first gathering on Sept. 25 in the UNC Student Stores is right here.

The book is “Shooting Ghosts” by Thomas Brennan and Finbarr O’Riley. I've just started reading it, but already the story of both men is gripping as they grapple with what they saw while in a war zone. 

If you're interested in veteran rights, PTSD, war reporting or modern Middle East conflicts, this will be an event you don't want to miss.