Fall Out Boy gets kidnapped by llamas in new music video

Fall Out Boy’s new single, “The Last Of The Real Ones,” from their upcoming seventh album, M A N I A, was released to YouTube on Sept. 13. It already has over 2 million views.

M A N I A maintains FOB’s new direction towards pop rock and EDM. The witty lyrics are typical of FOB’s bass guitarist and lyricist Pete Wentz, and the new song is accompanied by a puzzling music video.

Before the music video begins, it warns the audience of its explicit violence: “The following content is graphic in nature. The imagery depicted is an expression of the artist and does not necessarily reflect that of the network. Viewer discretion is advised.” 

It goes on to feature the return of FOB’s infamous llamas, which have been appearing recently in their music videos. The llamas kidnap Wentz and lock him in the trunk of their car. In addition to the video's dramatic, purple-themed lighting, it is also filmed in slow motion, suggesting the continuity of the story from its lead single, “Young and Menace." This bizarre lead song was released on April 27. In its music video, viewers follow an estranged girl who finds out that she is not a llama, but rather a human. 

In his interview on the Zach Sang show, Wentz says that “the video is like a dark version of 'Elf.'" His "Elf" comparison was in reference to when the movie's protagonist, Buddy, initially does not realize he is not really an elf, but rather a human.

Based on their previous albums, 2013's Save Rock and Roll and 2015's American Beauty/American Psycho, it is safe for fans to assume that FOB albums carry an overarching theme, storyline and color scheme. FOB is known for placing hidden meanings in their songs in a cocktail of eccentricity and morbid humor. 

Despite “The Champion,” the uplifting second single from M A N I A, being void of llamas, the return of these creatures in “The Last Of The Real Ones” assures that they will be prevalent in the songs that follow. The music video ends with a humorous credit roll with nods to Jaden Smith, Blackbear and other cameos that were also present in the star-studded song. We are left to wonder whether all FOB members will be doomed to llama-kidnapping in future M A N I A singles.

“The Last of the Real Ones” has yet to have a FOB interpretation. While its music video is just as strange as its predecessors in nature, the excellent music quality can be played and enjoyed in all settings. FOB has yet to release the full album, but plans on touring M A N I A this year with Blackbear and Jaden Smith. On Nov. 3, FOB will be performing at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte.