Haven't seen No Shame Theatre? That's a shame

There were only two rules when it came to No Shame Theatre at the ArtsCenter Saturday. The first: your act has to be original. And the second: you’ve only got five minutes to kill it. 

The show is based around improvisation, and while some acts choose to completely improvise their skit when they take the stage, you can also choose to bring a script with you or have already planned what you will do or say. 

For those ready to wing it, they asked the audience to shout a random word. The clock started and the meaningless words “hairbrush” and “birthday cake” resulted in a comedic feud between two longtime cheating lovers, and an argument over Whole Foods versus Harris Teeter. 

The night consisted of all sorts of weird, funny and even some thought-provoking skits and stories presented by various different types of people.

One of the improv actors, Gerald Rubin, said that for the three years he has been coming to No Shame, he has only missed two shows. 

“You never know what can happen on stage, and it’s fun," Rubin said. "I call it a cheap date — it’s five bucks.” 

He said that whether you’re a writer, an improv actor, a comedian or a storyteller, No Shame gives you five minutes to practice your skill, see how an audience reacts or just go out there and do it for fun. 

Comedic duo Guy Beretich and Annabel Stehli later put on a two-part act in which an Italian singing doctor prescribes a diseased woman medications, which results in hilarious side effects like dog barking and compulsive twerking. 

The two met in an improv comedy class four years ago, but only recently teamed up as a duo. 

Stehli said although she now lives in Asheville, she still plans to make the trip out to perform in the monthly shows. 

“We laugh when we’re writing the scenes," Stelhi said. "The process is so much fun. We’re doing it for the fun.” 

While their skit seemed very well put together, Beretich said it wasn’t all that planned. 

“It’s spontaneous," Beretich said. "It’s not as scripted as you might think. Sometimes something comes up and it changes.” 

Stelhi said that 30 percent of the lines they said were a surprise to both of them and that doing a lot of improv while they’re up there is what makes them relaxed. 

Although they went four minutes over their 5-minute time limit, they were happy they weren't buzzed to stop. 

The next show will be on Saturday, Oct. 14, and if you have a niche you want to try out onstage or are in need of a place for a “cheap date,” the judgment-free zone at No Shame Theatre may be just the thing. 

@ahc105