Jay Pharoah will perform at CUAB homecoming comedy show

Students walk around the pit before announcing who will be performing at the Carolina Union Activities Board homecoming show. Accounts managed by the Student Activities Fund Office, which control money distributed to student organizations by the Undergraduate Senate, will be managed by CUAB as SAFO is phased out.

A crowd of awaiting students gathered outside of the Frank Porter Graham Student Union Wednesday afternoon to hear who will be the source of their laughter homecoming weekend.

On Sept. 27 at 12:30 p.m., the Carolina Union revealed their pick of Jay Pharoah for this year’s homecoming comedy show.

Jared Antonio Farrow, known by his stage name Jay Pharoah, is an actor and comedian most recognizable from his six years of work at "Saturday Night Live." His impression of former President Barack Obama won crowds over when he introduced it in 2012.

Opening for Pharoah is AJ Foster, a stand-up comedian who has been featured on Fox's "Laughs" and MTV's "Yo Momma."

The show will take place Oct. 24 in Memorial Hall. The doors will open at 6 p.m. and the show will start at 7 p.m.The ticket price will be $8 for students, $25 for the general public and $20 for alumni. 

“Our hope is that CUAB is able to provide multiple forms of larger scale entertainment throughout the year so that we are representative of all students and not just those who like musical concerts," CUAB's president, Jordan Bermudez, said in a press release.

One of the students in the crowd this afternoon was sophomore Beth Suraphel. 

She said, “I honestly didn’t think it would be somebody that I would recognize or know, just because I don't know as many comedians and stuff, but I definitely saw him on SNL, so that’s cool.”

Following the reveal, there was a buzz of shocked students grinning eagerly at one another, while others raced to grab their phones to share the newfound information with their peers.

Student Kierra Pittman said that she was excited for the performance, and that she was familiar with Pharoah as a comedian. 

“I’ve seen some of his acts, so I’m excited for him to be coming here and can’t wait for it,” she said. 

@marinkherold