Jelani Pieters scores overtime game-winner as UNC men's soccer takes down Virginia, 2-1

Forward Jelani Pieters scored a game-winning goal in the 95th minute as the the No. 7 North Carolina men’s soccer team defeated No. 9 Virginia, 2-1, on Friday night. Pieters' goal, which came in overtime, gave the Cavaliers their first loss of the season.

North Carolina (8-1, 3-0 ACC) came into Friday's top-10 matchup against Virginia outscoring its opponents 13-6 during a five-game winning streak. The Tar Heels looked to start their offense early with a few corner kicks early, but the Cavaliers (5-1-1, 1-1-1 ACC) stopped all scoring tries.

Both teams were locked in on defense throughout the first hal,f limiting each other’s shot attempts and committing fouls early. The teams went into halftime with the scored tied 0-0.

The scoring drought continued into the second half up until the 53rd minute, when Virginia’s Joe Bell received a pass at the top of the box and shot the ball into the top right corner for his first goal of the season and a 1-0 Cavalier lead.

The Tar Heels answered back fast and tied the game five minutes later when Alan Winn's defender backed off him and gave Winn an opening. Winn fired a bullet to the bottom right corner of the goal for the equalizer.

The defensive stalemate continued after the exchange of goals. With a few minutes remaining, the Tar Heels continued to take shots but couldn’t convert, sending the game to overtime.

UNC pushed the ball in overtime early. In the 95th minute, Pieters dribbled to his right and took a shot from outside the box. The redshirt sophomore scored and secured a top-10 win for the Tar Heels.

Locked into a defensive matchup, the North Carolina needed someone to break through and get the team on the score board. After giving up the second half goal that player was Winn.

Winn’s team-leading seventh goal added to his impressive season so far and captured momentum for the Tar Heels, which they would later use to score the game-winning goal.

After North Carolina matched Virginia’s early second half goal with Winn’s upper-right-corner shot, both teams struggled to convert, failing to set up corner chances and hitting shots wide of the goal.

With the game tilting both ways throughout the first 90 minutes, the Tar Heels came out fresh in overtime and were able to control possession before Pieters' golden-goal game-winner.

The win against a top-10 Virginia team gives UNC its third ACC win in as many tries and may also boost the team in the upcoming coaches poll.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will face Winthrop on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Greensboro.

@Jconn_24