'Kingsman: The Golden Circle' combines art and violence with over-the-top action

Three years later, “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” picks up exactly where its predecessor left off – with excessively artistic violence and an over-the-top plot.

Matthew Vaughn’s follow-up to 2014’s “Kingsman: The Secret Service” follows Eggsy (Taron Egerton), the now fully trained super-spy, as he tries to save the world again. Only this time, the British-based Kingsman agency is destroyed, forcing Eggsy and his few remaining comrades to team up with Statesman, their American counterpart. 

This American twist adds a whole new element to the franchise, introducing new spies played by Channing Tatum, Halle Berry and Jeff Bridges; yet “The Golden Circle” remains a movie we’ve already seen.

Once again, Eggsy must save the world from a psycho who’s secretly developed a way to kill millions of people around the world for her own personal benefit.

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Maybe because that’s exactly what Samuel L. Jackson did in the first one. 

But despite the repetitive plot, Vaughn knows what his Kingsman movies do best. Whether it’s the ridiculous gadgets, extravagant violence or cheeky humor, something will always keep you glued to the screen.

Without ever coming across as gory, the movie's brilliant use of violence is a form of art. The synchronization of explosions, spies flying through the air and people dying in the most creative ways possible, all set to “Take Me Home, Country Roads” is a sight to be seen. 

However, after the epic church scene in the first movie, there wasn’t a particular scene in the sequel where all of the action and violence culminates into a giant slugfest. But “The Golden Circle” does have a few gnarly meat grinder deaths, so that’s pretty wild. 

The sequel’s new villain, Julianne Moore, turns in one of the movie’s best performances as Poppy, the fifties-loving drug lord looking to expand her empire. Moore’s unsuspecting persona and sweet talking hides her truly evil intentions. 

Despite appearing to die in the first movie, Colin Firth’s Harry Hart returns in “The Golden Circle,” along with Mark Strong’s Merlin. While Harry is sidelined for most of the movie recovering from an injury, Merlin is able to steal the show and come into the spotlight. 

But perhaps one of the film’s best elements is its satirization of America through Statesman. From the whiskey bottle-shaped headquarters to the Southern twang and cowboy boots, everything about the agency screams Wild West. 

Don’t expect an award-winning plot with “Kingsman: The Golden Circle," just plenty of explosions, nonstop action and two hours of pure fun.

@zach_goins