Murals bring color to Chapel Hill

The famous Chapel Hill mural is located right next to He's Not Here, a popular bar on Franklin St.

From UNC postcards to prehistoric sea turtles, muralists Michael Brown and Scott Nurkin have shaped the town of Chapel Hill with their iconic pieces. These murals not only add a unique character to buildings, but they also represent Chapel Hill's evolving culture. 

Nurkin created the mural of Dean Smith, which was done as a passion project, and the greetings from the Chapel Hill postcard wall painting, among other projects.

The Chapel Hill postcard mural is one of Nurkin's most commonly photographed pieces in Chapel Hill, and he said he appreciates seeing people admire it.

Preservation Chapel Hill played a part in the Painted Walls Project, a community initiative to save deteriorating murals. President of Preservation Chapel Hill Tom Heffner did not play a role in the initial project, but said he thinks they're an important part of Chapel Hill's community. 

“Over the years I think that they’ve become a beloved part of Chapel Hill,” he said. “I think they should be preserved and I hope they will be.”

Nurkin said murals fade and eventually deteriorate; however, he remains optimistic for future muralists.

“I’m of the hopes that as things evolve and change and more murals go up the more artists are contributing," he said. "Because that’s what gives blood to the community and keeps the town from turning too stale and too unoriginal. I’m very aware that these things are not permanent. They are not the pyramids of Egypt.”

After he graduated from UNC with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting, Nurkin began an internship with Michael Brown. After three years of working with Michael Brown, he set out on his own.

Nurkin acknowledges that mural painting is a unique process because it is extremely public.

“That’s one thing I really learned from Michael; it doesn’t matter if you’re a homeless person begging for change or if you pull up in a nice car, no one’s different," he said. "Just being nice to people is important when you’re doing things in public.”

Michael Brown is an active muralist who began working in Chapel Hill in 1988. Brown draws inspiration for his murals from all sources including his past history in Chapel Hill — from selling drinks at Kenan stadium to washing dishes at Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe in 1973.

Similar to Nurkin, Brown had a positive attitude on the changing landscape of murals in Chapel Hill. 

“25 years is enough to look at a (mural),” Brown said. “At a certain point after all these undergraduate’s papers and articles have been written about me, I’ll be Chapel Hill history.”

@MattiasMiller