In its final match in Greensboro this season, the No. 5 UNC men’s soccer team (9-1, 3-0 ACC) faced off against Winthrop (2-5-1) in dominant fashion, dismantling the Eagles to the tune of 4-0.

The Tar Heels got off to a hot start and never turned back. In the second minute, senior Zach Wright played an easy ball across the box to redshirt sophomore Jelani Pieters, who placed it into the back of the net with no one in front of him to make the score 1-0.

In the 11th minute, nearly the exact same thing happened. But Pieters was unable to get the ball in, as it went just left of the post. However, Winthrop’s goalie made a critical mistake 30 seconds later and basically passed the ball to Wright, who in turn placed it perfectly just past the keeper for a goal.

Chances were easy to come by for UNC, but another goal wasn’t scored until the 42nd minute, when first-year Lucas del Rosario scored on the counter attack to bring the score 3-0 just before halftime. The Tar Heels recorded 10 shots in the first half to Winthrop’s zero.

The Tar Heels momentum on the offensive end slowed a bit in the second half, though they continued to dominate possession. There were a couple point-blank attempts 10 minutes into the second half, but Winthrop’s goalie came up big, keeping the score 3-0.

About 15 minutes into the second half, head coach Carlos Somoano began to sub in reserve players to give the starters rest, including Wright and, later, goalkeeper Alec Smir.

UNC put the icing on the cake in the 71st minute with another easy goal, this time by redshirt freshman Giovanni Montesdeoca off the assist from del Rosario.

The final score was 4-0, but a different stat portrays UNC’s domination the best: UNC had 17 shots while Winthrop had zero.

The game was almost never in question. From the opening whistle, the Tar Heels dominated possession. Following the quick goal by Pieters, a UNC victory was imminent.

The additional three goals certainly helped, but Winthrop never had any dangerous opportunities, except for the occasional counterattacks which were quickly thwarted by the stout Tar Heel defense.

Wright and del Rosario both had strong games, each recording one goal and one assist. Wright was on the attack whenever he was on the field. He recorded three shots, one of which was a bullet off the crossbar from about 25 yards out. Del Rosario also had three shots, including his goal off the counterattack, which was his second goal of the season and of his career.

This win increases UNC’s win streak to seven games, its longest win streak since 2015. The Tar Heels have a decent chance at tying their nine-game win streak in 2015, as they face off against struggling N.C. State and James Madison teams in their next two matches.

The Tar Heels face off against rival N.C. State at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary on Friday as they look to move to 4-0 in ACC play.

@esingletary4