North Carolina women's soccer team drops second game in 2017 to Penn State, 1-0

Women's soccer versus UNCW

UNC forward Sydney Spruill (2) chases after the ball against UNC-Wilmington on Sunday.

In a top-10 matchup, the No. 6 North Carolina women’s soccer team (4-2) traveled to Pennsylvania on Thursday to take on No. 5 Penn State (4-1). Although the Tar Heels out-possessed the Nittany Lions, an early goal for PSU turned out to be the only statistic that mattered. 

The game ended in a 1-0 Nittany Lion victory.

Penn State came barreling out of the gates to start the game. After controlling possession for the first five minutes, its efforts paid off quickly. A ball was slotted through the Tar Heel defense, leading to an easy goal for PSU in the seventh minute.

Shortly after the goal, the Tar Heels gathered themselves and took control of the game. Despite dominating play, though, UNC was unable to get any shots on goal in the first half. There were many opportunities, including a 20-yard bullet from first-year Alessia Russo, but nothing was on frame. The game went to the half with a score of 1-0 in Penn State’s favor.

It was a role reversal to start the second half. UNC came bolting out of the gates, garnering multiple scoring opportunities right away. After not recording a single shot on goal in the first half, North Carolina had one on frame in the first two minutes of the second half.

Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, it was more of the same in the second half — possession domination and beautiful balls into the box, but nothing to show for it. Although there were more shots in the second half (four compared to two in the first half), nothing could find the back of the net.

At the final whistle, UNC’s body language showed it all — the players knew they dominated possession for a majority of the game, they just couldn’t score any goals to show it. The game ended in a 1-0 Penn State win.

In a bit of a twist, the Tar Heels' performance can be characterized by who didn’t stand out rather than who normally does. Redshirt first-year Taylor Otto had to fill in at center back for a hurt Lotte Wubben-Moy. Instead of being on the attack at forward, Otto had to stay back to anchor the defense.

Although Otto filled in well for Wubben-Moy, the Tar Heels certainly missed the presence of Otto up top, who is tied for second on the team with seven points (three goals, one assist).

The game went down to the wire, with UNC getting opportunities up until the last 20 seconds. Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, nothing ended up in the back of the net.

At one point, UNC had won six games in a row against Penn State. This loss sets their record back to 6-2 against the Nittany Lions. 

Since 2007, this is only the second time UNC has lost two of its first six games — the other time being in 2014.

The Tar Heels have a 10-day hiatus before traveling down to Tallahassee, Fla. to take on the Florida State Seminoles on September 17 to begin conference play.

@esingletary4