Sing along to 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' at Cat's Cradle

The PopUp Chorus will be celebrating The Beatles' album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" at an event at Cat's Cradle open to the community. Anyone, regardless of experience or talent, is welcome to come and sing, make new connections and have fun.

During the PopUp Chorus, participants will sing "With a Little Help from My Friends" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" alongside a three-piece band. Voting took place online to select songs from the album. The organizers picked the album in honor of its 50th anniversary.

The founder of the chorus, Lauren Bromley Hodge, believes people voted for the two songs based on the love and hope they portray musically. 

“People seem to want and need that energy from the songs,” said Hodge. 

When the participants first arrive, conductor Amelia V.B. Shull leads the group in 40 to 45 minutes of practice per song. No matter the quality, they always move on after time is up to keep the experience fun instead of frustrating. 

Before each session, Shull plans the best arrangements for a diverse group of singers.  Her goal is to help people discover that “their voice is important and worth using.” 

Then videographer Zach Stamey turns the final performance of the songs into a music video. He enjoys creating videos for PopUp Chorus because he gets to capture a unique experience each time. 

“It’s imperfect, and that’s what’s great about it,” said Stamey. 

Both Stamey and Hodge see the PopUp Chorus as a way to build a safe, welcoming community. Singing in front of others takes both vulnerability and creativity. The informal nature of the event means the chorus is full of regulars in addition to people from all over the Triangle. 

“Some people come because they feel it is as good as any therapy,” said Shull. 

Hodge began the organization in 2014 while she was leading a more formal children’s choir. She wanted to transform the idea into a gathering everyone could enjoy. Now Hodge brainstorms ideas and promotes PopUp Chorus while Shull leads the events themselves. 

Shull selects themes she finds relevant to current events. After the death of David Bowie, the group did a timely tribute to his work that brought people together. Similarly, Leonard Cohen’s passing led to what was, in Shull's view, one of the most beautiful moments at PopUp Chorus.

The PopUp Chorus Lonely Hearts Club Band will take place September 12th at 7:00 p.m., with doors opening at 6:30. Tickets are $13 and $8 for students.

@sabrinazirkgirl