'The Mayor' shares a glimpse of an alternate political reality

Meet your new mayor, Courtney Rose, played by Brandon Michael Hall, a “27-year-old struggling rapper” from California who decides to run for mayor in order to bring attention to his mixtape. He is immediately lovable with his humor and easygoing nature; so relatable that he wins.

I was intrigued by “The Mayor” from the start. As a millennial in a nation run by old white male politicians, I wanted to see how a progressive young black man running for mayor would bring change to his city and represent their views. 

We dive into “The Mayor” with immediate energy and humor. 

What makes “The Mayor” so great is that it humorously takes on modern topics of conversation without leaving me thinking that the agenda of the show is to sway the viewers’ political opinion. The fast-paced show jumps right in with the first mayoral debate.

The debate was my favorite scene of the pilot, as it put into words what many Americans have been feeling in the current political atmosphere. The debate served as an attack on politicians blind to what ordinary people actually go through and need from their government. Rose calls out his rival mayoral candidate for his empty promises and lacking empathy for the community.

And guess what? The city appreciates his honest and straightforward nature. Courtney Rose is the new mayor. 

Throughout the episode we follow Rose through his first day at work and are introduced to a star-studded cast. He has help from his wise and caring mother (better known to me as Helen, the manager of the Premier Theater in “Drake and Josh”), played by Yvette Nicole Brown. 

Lea Michele makes an appearance as Valentina, an up-and-coming political force. She is talkative, controlling and very confident. She instills some hope in Rose that he is capable of thriving in office.

The episode ended on a powerful note, as Rose’s inner conflict regarding whether he should do what is best for his rap career or what is best for his city brings attention to the power of politics and how the decisions made by one affect so many.

If you, like me, need a break from your “Game of Thrones” marathons and desire some light-hearted modern humor, then check out “The Mayor” on ABC. 

Starting Oct. 3 at 9:30 p.m. you can look forward to weekly laughs about politics that don’t make you want to pull your hair out. 

@isabellyperry