The right choices for this year's Emmy Awards

You don’t want to miss the 2017 Emmy Awards. 

Hosted by Stephen Colbert and broadcast on Sept. 17 at 8 p.m., this ceremony will commemorate what was, in my opinion, one of the best years of television yet. From drama series that truly gripped viewers to variety shows that dined out on political comedy, this year’s judges will have a difficult job in choosing just one standout program from each category.

These are my picks for some of the most coveted Emmy Awards.

Drama Series

“Better Call Saul” (AMC) 

“The Crown” (Netflix) 

“The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu) 

“House of Cards” (Netflix) 

“Stranger Things” (Netflix) 

“This Is Us” (NBC) 

“Westworld” (HBO)

The freshman drama series, “This Is Us," is a great pick for this award. The heartwarming NBC show gives a genuine look at a typical American family, and any viewer can relate to at least someone from the varied cast of characters.

In its breakout season, “This Is Us” acquired a dedicated fan base in an age where internet streaming from Netflix and Hulu seems to be phasing out weekly broadcast programming.

Comedy Series

“Atlanta” (FX) 

“Black-ish” (ABC) 

“Master of None” (Netflix) 

“Modern Family” (ABC) 

“Silicon Valley” (HBO) 

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” (Netflix) 

“Veep” (HBO)

There is one show in this category that stands miles above the rest.

In my opinion, “Veep” is not only the best comedy series of the season, but also one of the best in history. This hilarious political satire brings the same bizarre energy to the screen in its sixth season as it did in its first. The same, however, cannot be said of all series in this category.

Specifically, I believe that “Modern Family” has exhausted the same boring plotlines for long enough. It had a good run, being named Outstanding Comedy Series for five consecutive years until 2014, but it's time to put the audience out of its misery.

Variety Sketch Series

“Billy On The Street” (truTV) 

“Documentary Now!” (IFC) 

“Drunk History” (Comedy Central) 

“Portlandia” (IFC) 

“Saturday Night Live” (NBC) 

“Tracey Ullman’s Show” (HBO)

Despite being nominated for the past several years, “Saturday Night Live” tragically has not won in the Outstanding Variety Series category since 1993. Could this be the year that SNL finally earns back the title?

I think so. With fresh political material, this year’s cast has made Season XLII both memorable and hilarious.

Comedy Actor

Anthony Anderson (“Black-ish”) 

Aziz Ansari (“Master of None”) 

Zach Galifianakis (“Baskets”) 

Donald Glover (“Atlanta”) 

William H. Macy (“Shameless”) 

Jeffrey Tambor (“Transparent”)

With so many talented comedians on the screen this year, this competition should be a close one.

However, to me, no comedy actor is more deserving of an Emmy than Aziz Ansari. He brings his extensive comedy background to “Master of None” with a fresh blend of observational standup and sitcom elements.

With this in mind, Ansari is my pick for the best lead actor in a comedy.

Comedy Actress

Pamela Adlon (“Better Things”) 

Tracee Ellis-Ross (“black-ish”) 

Jane Fonda (“Grace and Frankie”) 

Lily Tomlin (“Grace and Frankie”) 

Allison Janney (“Mom”) 

Ellie Kemper (“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”) 

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep”)

Giving this award to any actress other than Julia Louis-Dreyfus would be a gross mistake and an Emmy awards travesty.

In “Veep” season six, she gives the performance of a lifetime as the comically inept former president, Selina Meyer. Combining her absurd comedy experience as an SNL alum with a “Seinfeld”-style delivery of zingers, Louis-Dreyfus has shown, in this season, what exceptional comedy looks like.

Check out our Twitter (@ArtsDTH) during the Emmys broadcast where we'll be live-tweeting the event.

@maevesheehey