Things to do on Labor Day

Wondering what to do over Labor Day weekend? Tired of staying in Chapel Hill?

Here's a few ideas:

1. Go to the food truck rodeo in Durham Central Park Sunday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. 

There will be live music provided by Wood Robinson's New Formal. Robinson is a member of popular string band, Mipso. 

The event is rain or shine, open to the public and free – save any food or drink attendees might want to purchase. 

Erin Kauffman, executive director of Durham Central Park, said the park has five food truck rodeos every year. 

"It's a wild and delicious four hours!" she said. "I don't know how else to explain it."

2. Take a day trip to Jordan Lake. 

Mary Robertson, an office assistant at Jordan Lake State Recreation Area, said there are four public beaches that you can swim in and 10 picnic shelters. 

Robertson recommended the New Hope and Vista Point hiking trails, in addition to mentioning that the recreation area has volleyball nets and basketball quadrants. 

Pack a picnic and enjoy a day relaxing with your closest friends. 

You can also check off one of the 100 items on your UNC Bucket List.

3.  Explore serene Saxapahaw – population 2,000 – on the banks of the Haw River. 

The former mill town is about a 20-minute drive from Chapel Hill. 

Paddle or hike along the river, and eat lunch at the highly-rated convenience store and restaurant, the Saxapahaw General Store. 

4. Attend the Labor Day Celebration at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. 

There will be a cornhole tournament, live music, yoga and fireworks, in addition to a 5k and a 15k.

5. Grab your friends – and some cash – and go spend a day at the beach.

Wrightsville Beach is about a three-hour drive from Chapel Hill — eat dinner somewhere in downtown Wilmington and don't forget to lick some Kilwins while you watch the sunset.

@leah_moore1