UNC men's basketball championship team won't visit White House, cites schedule conflicts

North Carolina wins 2017 title
The North Carolina men's basketball team celebrates its 2017 national championship win over Gonzaga in April in Glendale, Ariz.

Citing scheduling issues, a team spokesman told The News & Observer's Andrew Carter that the 2017 North Carolina men's basketball championship team will not visit the White House. 

Steve Kirschner, senior associate athletic director for communications, told Carter that President Donald Trump's White House invited UNC, and the two parties tried to schedule the event but couldn't find a date that worked. He also added that UNC's players were "fine with going."

“We couldn’t find a date that worked for both parties,” he said. “We tried about eight or nine dates and between they couldn’t work out that date, we couldn’t work out that date, so – we would have liked to have gone, but not going.”

The announcement comes after men's basketball coach Roy Williams said in a post-game news conference in April that he was not sure whether the team would be invited — or whether it would visit the White House. 

@chapelfowler